Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It's official... got my travel plans! (^o^)


This week was great. I learned an incredible amount of vocab in the last week. We teach as a companionship every day, sometimes two or three times a day. From my last lesson, I feel like I can understand almost everything and I can head the lesson if I need to. So things are going well :D. My gospel vocab may not be up to everyone else's quite yet, but I'm getting there. I've found that I'm more of a visual learner, so in order to remember any vocab, I really have to know the kanji. Although a lot of people have told me to not worry on the kanji and focus on speaking the language, I've found I can master more vocab if I study them with the kanji, with the added bonus of actually being able to read! haha.

Hosting was definitely an interesting experience. It was last Thursday, so it rained the whole time. Which is preferable to sunshine :D. I hosted 2 new missionaries, so that means I took their luggage to their residence, helped them pick up their books and get to class. yep, that's pretty much it.

Anyway so my new zone. Actually I'm kind of disappointed at the amount of English that is used. While we are in class usually everything is Japanese, but out of class not so much. Oh well. I'm still learning super fast. which is good, haha. The branch president seems to have great confidence in my ability...... on Sunday, during the Preisthood meeting, when the usual Japanese translater didn't arrive, he asked if I would translate the meeting (real time) for all the Japanese missionaries. I said "uhhh....... sure...." haha. Luckily the Japanese translater came eventually, because the speaker was not using very simple vocab. I'm sure if I had translated, the Japanese missionaries would have had a very different meeting. haha.


Everyone in my entire zone knows who I am. I don't know who anyone is. I talked to someone I'd never seen before yesterday. I asked him how long he's been here. He said "4 weeks". I said "oh, me too". He said "yeah, I know, and you're leaving next week." haha. I am often greeted by people I've never seen before, it's kind of weird. "Oh hi Elder O'Reilly, you're the one that's fluent in Japanese, right? Where did you learn it?" haha. I hear that at least once a day from someone I don't know. I'm not fluent. But I'm the only one who seems to know that part of the story.


My companions are really cool Elders. One is from Idaho, and one is from Washington. They've taught literally dozens of lessons, so they are good with Gospel Japanese, I've learned lots from them. We get along really well.

So today is my last P-day! how crazy is that?? :D I leave for Japan in 6 days! And yes, it is official. (^^) I received my travel plans last Friday, so that means my visa is in! I'm pretty crazy excited. So this Friday I'm going to in field orientation again. haha. I think it's really supposed to be a one time thing but whatever. It's an all day seminar, so hopefully I get something out of it that I didn't last time.

So if you want to write me while I'm at the MTC, do it before Friday, probably. After that send it to Japan :D This is my last P-day, so it may be a while before I respond, though.

Alright, I'm out of time, so I suppose you'll hear from me again when I'm in the land of the Rising Sun! (^o^)

Elder O'Reilly

No comments:

Post a Comment