Monday, September 2, 2013

Week 59: To Matsuyama 松山へ

So, I'm on Shikoku, the island off of the main island. Matsuyama is the biggest city on the island. its pretty big, most of it is really rural, but the center of the city is bigger than the other 5 places I've worked.

The train/bus ride over was LONG! but we got to go over the ocean, which was way cool. Got to the apartment, its pretty new, which is cool. But, there was a typhoon. Which was pretty crazy. But still made it to the apartment fine and my luggage all arrived the first day.

The next day we had a baptismal interview in Kouchi. It is another 2.5 hour bus ride away from Matsuyama. But still the same missionary district. Crazy, right?? So at the beginning of the trip on the high speed bus, we fly into this giant tunnel straight through this hill, and then come out the other side onto a giant bridge over the gap between 2 hills! then go into the next hill and out the other side, and then the next hill and out the other side. At first, it was way cool! Then I was like....... how many hills are there???? and then I was like AHHHH! TOO MANY HILLLS! haha. It was really crazy. In Kouchi, Elder Ogasawara is there, he is the district leader! I was his district leader when I was in Fukuyama, so it will be cool to work with him again.

I'm the most experienced missionary in the zone! SOOO many young missionaries. Its going to be an interesting transfer, I'm just going to work to make sure they all know what they should do with their investigators and such.

As zone leaders, our responsibilities are split. My companion takes care of missionary progression, and I'm responsible for all the investigators in the zone. As a district leader, you have to take care of both, so actually as a zone leader there is a little more breathing room. Actually time to think about everything. haha.

The area has a few investigators, but we'll definitely have to build up our pool. Its a really fun area though and the people are really fun to talk to. With the limited time we've had to work we've got some potential already, and it's looking really good.

Looking forward to an awesome transfer!

love you all,
Elder O'Reilly

Answering Mom's questions:

Companion name: Nicholas Dickson
where from: Henderson , Nevada  (not fountains stake)
how long out on mission: 9th transfer (I'm 11th)
What do you have in common: both took computer classes at BYU
Was Elder Dickson already in this area: yes, for 6 weeks. (I've never whitewashed an area before)

Ward/Branch: branch
How many people: about 30+....?
How many missionaries in the ward: 2
Any current investigators: yes, 2 with baptismal dates. haven't met them yet though. did teach a first lesson yesterday that went really well.

House/Apt:
How many elders in your place: 2
bike/car: (is it always bike?): CAR! I have a Porche. Its awesome. Just kidding. its always a bike. I don't have a Japanese driving license. haha. Its a really nice bike though, it has a basket so I don't have to break my back carrying stuff.
How big is your area (looks pretty big on mission map): uhhh...... probably pretty big.
Rural or city: It has city areas. The central part of the city is more city than any of my other areas, but the rest is way rural.

How many missionaries in your zone: 18
How many districts:2

How did you get to your new place: train to Okayama (about 3 hours?), bus to matsuyama (about 2.5 hours?).

One of my favorite investigators in Hirakata. (not allowed to tell names anymore, sorry)

The bridge. It was pretty long.

It was awesome.

My companion. On the bus. haha ^^


Traveling is expensive. It all gets re-imbursed, but I had to use ALL my emergency funds and personal funds to do all the traveling. haha.  Counted it up to see if we had the money the night before. We barely did. like not enough money left over to buy a bottle of soda.

View from the apartment. The Typhoon blew some clouds below the buildings. pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment